Tomorrow marks the beginning of another exciting day for The Salvation Army as twenty-two cadets converge on Winnipeg Manitoba! Their Session name is MESSENGERS OF LIGHT! These new cadets will unpack hundreds of boxes (well, collectively at least, but some of them have a LOT OF STUFF)! They will navigate the traffic lights that have speed cameras on every other light and catch you at the wrong moment! Orientation week will be an exciting launch to information about life and community and CFOT and its partners. Visits to Salvation Army ministries around the City and Region will put cadets in touch with realities that some of them never knew existed. They will have significant interaction with non-Salvation Army ministries and leaders who are just as passionate as we are about making a difference in the world.
Then there is the advance of Fall and the soon-to-smack-you-in-the-mouth winter! I think we hit -56 last year. Not sure if that included windchill or not. By that time it doesn’t matter because you have no feeling!
Ah, but then there’s the thrill of community life at CFOT! Worship times confirm God’s presence over and over; chapels with Booth University College and a diverse community of followers of Jesus reminds us that God’s family is very large, colourful and full of exciting, wonderful people! The ministry opportunities that touch people’s lives and whose lives touch us, well, words cannot describe what that’s like.
Fellowships, fun times and food keep the atmosphere alive and active! Classes, assignments, exams (oops, sorry!), field trips, winter assignments, summer assignments … VACATION! Then before you know it, 22 months are gone and we say “God speed” to another community of cadets that became a significant part of our lives.
We invite you to join us in praying for them and their children in these days. Here’s a list to use as a guide:
– Kaitlin Adlam (Westminster Park/Simcoe, ON)
– David and Tabea Cole with Josiah (Germany)
– Alfred and Cathy Esdaille with Kayla (St. George’s, Bermuda)
– Dwayne and Susan Goulding with Thomas and Aaron (Gander, NL)
– Keith and Violet Hopkins with Nicholas and Mackenzie (Prince Rupert, BC)
– Alexander and Rhonda MacDonald with Joshua, Jonathan and Andrew (Whitehorse, NT)
– Curtis and Erin Metcalf with Luke, Elliot and Charlotte (Yorkminster, ON)
– Matt and Whitney Reid (Bishop’s Falls, NL)
– Stefan and Tinisha Reid with Rachel (Fort McMurray, AB)
– Ian and Kamaljit Robinson with Patrick (Erin Mills, ON)
– Kathy Walker (Winnipeg, MB)
– Brad and Wavie Webster with Samantha and Emily (Kitchener, ON)
Tomorrow marks the beginning of another exciting day for The Salvation Army as twenty-two cadets converge on Winnipeg Manitoba.